Monday, January 12, 2009

Turning 40


So tomorrow, January 13th is my birthday and I'm turning 40. It is kind of hard for me to believe. Knowing tonight is the last night I can say I'm thirty something is kinda surreal. BUT, also, it's just a number. So why sweat the small stuff. Right?

When my mom turned 40 years old I bought her a black t-shirt that says "I got this t-shirt when I turned 40" in big white letters, then below that in red smaller letters it says "I hate this shirt". Well, a few days ago I checked the mail and low and behold, worn and faded, out of an envelope I pulled..."the" shirt. Attached was a note that said "ha ha, remember this?" I was so surprised that mom had saved this t-shirt all these years. This shirt has now become an official hand-me-down for years to come. I will wear it tomorrow and probably here and there. Dawn is next in line so I will keep it safe, clean and free of holes.

I don't dread birthdays really, I'm always so thankful for being blessed with yet another year of life. Let's face it, we're all getting older so why dread the inevitable...be happy to be alive.